Chilli sans Carne (Vegan)
- 2 tbsp Coconut oil
- 1 Onion, chopped
- 3 big tomatoes, blended
- 4 Garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 big Eggplants, minced
- 1 big courgette, chopped in little blocks
- 1x 400g can biologic chopped tomatoes
- 3 tbsp Tomato purée
- 4 tsp dried Chilli flakes (or more, depending on your taste)
- 1 tbsp ground Cumin
- 1 tsp ground Coriander
- 1 x 150g can Red kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 x 150g can Black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 x 150g can Sweet crispy corn, rinsed and drained
- 1 large bunch Coriander leaves, roughly chopped
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
Mince the eggplants with a food processor or until you get the appearance of minced beef, set aside.
Heat the coconut oil in a large, heavy-based saucepan with a lid and fry the onion and garlic until softened.
Increase the heat and add the minced eggplant, combine with garlic and onions previously softened. Add the spices and keep cooking.
Pour in the blended tomatoes, the tinned tomatoes, tomato purée and chopped courgette,
Bring to a simmer, cover with a lid and cook over a gentle heat for about 15 minutes, stirring occasionally until the mixture is rich and thickened.
Add the kidney beans and fresh coriander. Cook for 10 more minutes. Season well with salt and freshly ground black pepper.
Serve with rice, guacamole, pico de gallo or whatever you like.
Or simply copy my combination as a salad by adding a bunch of fresh lettuce, pico de gallo and blue corn tortilla chips to give the chili a little crunchy texture.