Dante's Summer Lemon Cake
Ingredients for the lemon cake batter
- 2 Cups all-purpose flour
- 1 Tablespoon baking powder
- 1/8 Teaspoon salt
- 1 Cup fine granulated sugar
- 3 Medium eggs, at room temperature
- 2 Teaspoons clear vanilla extract
- 200ml Liquid whipping cream
- 2 Tablespoon lemon zest
Directions for the lemon cake batter
Before starting, set your oven to 160°C, grease a 24cm cake pan, line with parchment paper, then grease the parchment paper.
- Whisk the flour, baking powder, sugar, and salt. Set aside.
- Using a handheld or stand mixer fitted with a whisk attachment, add the dry ingredients and combine them well. Slowly add the liquid whipping cream on high speed until smooth and creamy.
- Add the eggs one at the time and mix at high speed for 5 more minutes, or keep mixing until the batter is silky smooth.
- When the mix is thick and velvety, add lemon zest, vanilla extract and combine well with the help of a rubber spatula.
- Pour batter into the cake pan. Bake for around 50-55 minutes or until the cake is baked through. To test, insert a toothpick in the center of the cake. If it comes out clean, it's done. Let the cake rest on a cooling rack.
***The cake must be completely cool before adding the frosting.
Ingredients for the lemon cream cheese glaze
- 80g Unsalted butter softened to room temperature
- 200g Cream cheese softened to room temperature
- 3 Cups confectioners sugar
- 2 Tablespoons fresh lemon juice (about one lemon)
- 2 Tablespoons liquid milk
- 1 Tablespoon lemon zest
Directions for the lemon cream cheese glaze
- Cream the butter and cream cheese, with a handheld or stand mixer fitted with a whisk attachment.
- Add the confectioner's sugar and keep mixing, try to avoid any lumps by sifting the sugar and adding it slowly.
- Add the fresh lemon juice and milk.
- The consistency of the frosting should be a bit runny and glossy, add more sugar if the glaze is too liquid.
- Place the cake on the cooling rack and elevate it with a bowl under it.
- Pour de mixture on top of the cake, colllecting it in the bowl under the rack. Pour the collected glaze again if necessary.
- Evenly cover the top with the glaze. Spread the remaining frosting all over the top and sides.
- Decorate the cake with lemon zest or lemon slices. Do as you like!
- Refrigerate for at least 30 minutes before slicing it.