My Italian Fried Green Tomatoes
Ingredients pesto sauce
- 2 cups fresh basil leaves
- 1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan-Reggiano cheese
- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/3 cup pine nuts
- 3 garlic cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon salt, more to taste
Directions for the pesto sauce
- Set a skillet on medium fire, add 1/2 cup of olive oil and the 3 garlic cloves. Cook the garlic cloves for a few seconds to perfume the oil. Set aside to cool down.
- Pulse basil and pine nuts in a food processor, add the parmesan cheese.
- Stream in the olive oil and the garlic cloves, while the food processor is running, add it slowly.
- Stir in salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste.
Ingredients fried green tomatoes
- 3/4 cup self-rising flour for coating the tomatoes
- 1/2 cup breadcrumbs
- 1 free range egg
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1/4 tsp dry or fresh oregano
- 1/4 cup parmesan cheese
- 3-4 green tomatoes sliced into 1/4 inch thick rounds
- Vegetable oil for frying
Directions for the fried green tomatoes
Before starting, set your fryer to 180°C, in case you don't have one you can also use a skillet or an air fryer.
- In a mixing bowl, combine the bread crumbs, grated parmesan, salt, pepper and oregano. Use a fork to mix the ingredients.
- Beat an egg and set aside.
- Pour the flour in a separate container and coat the tomato slices.
- Dip the coated tomatoes in the beaten egg, and let the excess drip back into the bowl.
- Coat the tomato slices in the mix with bread crumbs and parmesan cheese.
- Put the slices immediately into the frying pan, fried them until they're slightly golden brown.
- Transfer to wire cooling rack to drain. To keep the tomatoes from getting soggy before they're served.
Fried green tomatoes are best eaten fresh out of the frying pan, they will become soggy fast if you don't enjoy them within a few minutes of frying.
Dip them or spread on them a bit of freshly homemade pesto. The combination is absolutely stunning!
Buon appetito a tutti!