Boozy Watermelon Granita
- ¾ CUP (185ML) CASTER (SUPERFINE) SUGAR
- 1½ CUPS (375ML) WATER
- 1.4KG SEEDLESS WATERMELON, CHOPPED
- ¼ CUP (60ML) LEMON JUICE
- ½ CUP (120ML) OF GIN OR YOUR FAVORITE SPIRIT
- Place the sugar and water in a saucepan and stir over low heat until dissolved. Set aside to cool.
- Juice the watermelon in an electric juicer to get 1 liter of juice.
- Combine with the sugar syrup and lemon juice, the gin and pour into a flat metal container.* Place in the freezer.
- After 2 hours, whisk with a fork and return to the freezer.
- Stir to break up the ice crystals at 1-hour intervals until the granita is light and easy to scoop. Serves 4–6.
- Garnish with lime or sprinkle some chopped mint leaves (optional). *It’s important to freeze the granita in a metal tray because the metal keeps the mixture colder and at the right consistency. ** Breaking up the granita at intervals during the freezing time sepaarates the ice crystals before they are fully set.
Easy and delicious. Enjoy!