Chilli sans Carne (Vegan)
- 2 tbsp Coconut oil
- 1 Onion, chopped
- 3 big tomatoes, blended
- 4 Garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 big Eggplants, minced
- 1 big courgette, chopped in little blocks
- 1x 400g can biologic chopped tomatoes
- 3 tbsp Tomato purée
- 4 tsp dried Chilli flakes (or more, depending on your taste)
- 1 tbsp ground Cumin
- 1 tsp ground Coriander
- 1 x 150g can Red kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 x 150g can Black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 x 150g can Sweet crispy corn, rinsed and drained
- 1 large bunch Coriander leaves, roughly chopped
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Mince the eggplants with a food processor or until you get the appearance of minced beef, set aside.
- Heat the coconut oil in a large, heavy-based saucepan with a lid and fry the onion and garlic until softened.
- Increase the heat and add the minced eggplant, combine with garlic and onions previously softened. Add the spices and keep cooking.
- Pour in the blended tomatoes, the tinned tomatoes, tomato purée and chopped courgette,
- Bring to a simmer, cover with a lid and cook over a gentle heat for about 15 minutes, stirring occasionally until the mixture is rich and thickened.
- Add the kidney beans and fresh coriander. Cook for 10 more minutes. Season well with salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- Serve with rice, guacamole, pico de gallo or whatever you like.
- Or simply copy my combination as a salad by adding a bunch of fresh lettuce, pico de gallo and blue corn tortilla chips to give the chili a little crunchy texture.