Ingredients for the pie crust
- 2 cups of crumbled Maria biscuit
- 170g of melted unsalted butter
Ingredients for the passionfruit filling
- 2 cans of condensed milk
- 2 tbsp of fresh lime juice
- 8 egg yolks
- 1 1/2 cup of fresh passionfruit pulp (directly from the fruit, no sugar or water added)
*** I used about 16 small passionfruits for the filling and final decoration.
Ingredients for the meringue topping
- 8 egg whites
- 1 cup of sugar
- 2 tsp cream of tartar
- A pinch of salt
Ingredients for the passionfruit coulis
- 3 tbsp of passionfruit concentrate
- 2 tbsp of sugar
- 2 tbsp of lime juice
- 1 tsp of unflavored gelatine
Instructions for the pie crust
* Preheat the oven to 175°C *
- Stir together the maria cookie crumbs and butter in a bowl until combined well, press down the mixture evenly with your hands or a spatula to cover bottom and up side pie plate.
- Bake crust in middle of oven 10-15 minutes and cool in pie plate on a rack. Leave oven on.
Instructions for the filling
- Keep a couple tablespoons for decoration and blend the rest of the fruit pulp. Strain with a colander.
- Whisk together the condensed milk and yolks in a bowl until combined well. Add strained passionfruit, 2 tbsp lime juice and whisk until well combined (mixture will thicken slightly).
- Pour the filling into crust and bake in middle of oven 20 minutes. Cool pie completely on a cooling rack.
Instructions for passionfruit coulis
- Put 3 tbsp of passionfruit and 2 tbsp of sugar into a small pan with 5 tbsp of water. Bring to boil, add 1 tbsp of fresh lime juice and 1 tsp of unflavored gelatin. Simmer for 5 minutes until you don't see any lumps. Remove and cool.
Instructions for the pie meringue
Cook the egg whites and sugar au Bain Marie, until you notice that the sugar has been completely diluted in the egg without any lumps
- In a clean and dry bowl blend the egg and sugar mixture. Add the cream of tartar and salt. Beat at medium-fast speed until it looks bright and silky with stiff peaks.
- Place the meringue over the pie with the help of a kitchen spatula.
- Add a few splashes of the coulis and some passionfruit seeds.
* The pie will taste better after a good overnight rest <3 Share the passion with this recipe! *